Thursday, April 30, 2009

Orion and I heard the hearbeat!

Yesterday I had my doctor's appointment (like I do every two weeks). This time, Orion got to go with me because I didn't have a babysitter. He was SO good even though it was getting to be close to his nap time. While we were there, the nurse got the doppler thingy out and said we could try to hear the heartbeat, but that it was still early so not to expect anything. After about a minute of trying to find it, she found it!!! It was so strong and fast...it really was great to hear. While we were listening, I said to Orion "Do you hear that? That's the baby!" He looked at me like I was crazy and he was probably thinking "What are you talking about, lady? I'm the baby."

The doctor that I had last time that I really liked apparently transferred to Emanuel, so that blows. I finally had found a doctor I liked and he goes and leaves. *sigh* Just about my luck though. His replacement, Dr. Watson, is really nice as well though. He was great with Orion, and very pleasant...took the time to answer my questions (of which there were a lot because I was asking the same questions I asked last time since it was a new doc). He did suggest doing the first trimester triple screen, and that appointment is set for May 20th. They'll do a blood draw and an ultrasound. I'm a little freaked out about it, but I'm sure it'll be just fine.

The triple screen, for those of you who don't know, is a screening process for genetic abnormalities. They tell you what they think the odds of your baby having Downs Syndrome, Trisomy 13, and Trisomy 18 based on the level of chemicals in your blood and what the ultrasound shows. It's hardly accurate, and even less accurate in diabetics, but if the results come back abnormal, they can do further testing. We didn't have the screening done with Orion because it wouldn't have changed our mind about having him regardless of what the tests said. And, we thought it would just be a lot of extra stress if they did come back abnormal. I don't know though. If there WAS something wrong I'd like to be at least a little bit prepared. It wouldn't change us having the baby, for sure, but we could know what was in store if need be. Plus, I want to see the little one on the ultrasound. I'm torn, but I think we'll do the testing. It'll be fine anyway, right?

No comments: